Among the results:
- Facebook is most popular in Turkey and Canada.
- Friendster and Imeem are most popular in the Philippines.
- LinkedIn is most popular in India.
- Twitter is most popular in Japan.
- LiveJournal is more popular in Russia than it is in the United States.
- Orkut is more popular in Iran (10th country popularity-wise) than it is in the United States.
- MySpace is the only social network which is most popular in the United States.
- MySpace, LinkedIn, LiveJournal, Xanga, and Twitter are the only social networks in this survey which have the United States in their top five countries, popularity-wise. That is just five out of twelve.
“Interesting study, but misleading in that it leaves out local social networks. For example, the most-used social network in Japan is Mixi, which isn’t covered by this survey,” says Tom.
“I am not surprised by LinkedIn’s popularity in India,” says Brett H. “There are so many hi-tech companies there with ties to the USA, that I’m sure this is indicative of the networking going on between IT folks in both countries.”
And, “Le Monde published an interesting map of each region’s favourite social networking site a while ago, it’s good to see you continuing the search but you might find the list of sites you chose is quite US-centric,” says andymurd.
“Using Google Insights with the networks mentioned on the map we see that the Japanese love Mixi, South Koreans love Cyworld, so there is some difference of opinion between the two sources.”
Here’s the Le Monde map:
. .Stumble It!
Royal Pingdom – Social network popularity around the world, August 12, 2008
Use free p2pnet newsfeeds for your site. It’s really easy!
Subscribe to p2pnet.net | | rss feed: http://p2pnet.net/p2p.rss | | Mobile – http://p2pnet.net/index-wml.php