p2pnet view P2P:- Private first class Bradley Manning could face execution following 22 new counts levelled by the US Army.
The most serious is “aiding the enemy,” a capital offense carrying a potential death sentence.
“While conviction on the charge of ‘aiding the enemy’ could result in the death penalty, military prosecutors recommended that he be sentenced to life in prison if convicted on that charge alone”, says MSNBC.
“But the presiding military judge would have the authority to dismiss the prosecution’s recommendation and impose the death penalty.”
Manning is said to have provided classified documents to WikiLeaks and “Pentagon and military officials say some of the classified information released by WikiLeaks contained the names of informants and others who had cooperated with U.S. military forces in Afghanistan, endangering their lives”, says the story, going on:
“According to the officials, the U.S. military rounded up many of those named and brought them into their bases for protection. But, according to one military official, ‘We didn’t get them all.’ Military officials tell NBC News a small number of them still have not been found.”
Aiding the enemy
David Coombs (right), the reserve officer who’s defending manning, posts the Military Judges’ Benchbook instruction on the elements of the offense of Article 104 >>>
AIDING THE ENEMY—GIVING INTELLIGENCE TO THE ENEMY (ARTICLE 104)
(1) That (state the time and place alleged), the accused, without proper authority, knowingly gave intelligence information to (a) certain person(s), namely: (state the name or description of the enemy alleged to have received the intelligence information);
(2) That the accused did so by (state the manner alleged);
(3) That (state the name or description of the enemy alleged to have received the intelligence information) was an enemy; and
(4) That this intelligence information was true, at least in part.
d. DEFINITIONS AND OTHER INSTRUCTIONS:
“Intelligence” means any helpful information, given to and received by the enemy, which is true, at least in part.
“Enemy” includes (not only) organized opposing forces in time of war, (but also any other hostile body that our forces may be opposing) (such as a rebellious mob or a band of renegades) (and includes civilians as well as members of military organizations). (“Enemy” is not restricted to the enemy government or its armed forces. All the citizens of one belligerent are enemies of the government and the citizens of the other.)
States Coombs, “The decision to prefer charges is an individual one by PFC Manning’s commander,” he wrote. ‘The nature of the charges and the number of specifications under each reflects his determination, in consultation with his Staff Judge Advocate’s office, of the possible offenses in this case. Ultimately, the Article 32 Investigating Officer will determine which, if any, of these additional charges and specifications should be referred to a court-martial’.”
‘Physically and mentally in decline’
Arrested in May, he’s facing a courts martial and, depending on the findings, another 52 years in a military stockade, said p2pnet last December, adding >>>
In July he was transferred to US Marine Corps Base Quantico in Virginia where he was “placed in solitary confinement under ‘maximum custody’ and a restrictive ‘Prevention of Injury’ order while he awaits trial”, says an online Firedoglake petition to get him freed.
It says restrictions include >>>
- Detained in his cell for 23 hours a day
- Guards must check on Manning every 5 minutes, and he must reply
- Not allowed to have a pillow or a blanket.
- Not allowed to sleep between 5am and 8pm, with heavy restrictions when he is allowed to sleep.
- Not allowed any substantive exercise.
- No communication allowed beyond a limited list approved by the brig commander. All other letters must be destroyed.
- Not allowed to watch national news.
David House, the MIT researcher who’s been visiting Manning in Quantico, together with Manning’s attorney, reservist Lt Col David Coombs, says Manning is physically and mentally in decline.
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
World War III will be a global information war with no division between civilian & military participation ~ Marshall McLuhan
Net access blocked by government restrictions? Use Psiphon from the Citizen Lab at the University of Toronto. Go here for details.