p2p news / p2pnet:- Demands that the US Army investigates charges that its soldiers have been trading gory pix of Iraq and Afghanistan war victims for access to an amateur porn site can`t be met, says the Pentagon.
There`s insufficient evidence to pursue criminal charges, according to the Army, says the Washington Post, going on:
The allegations surfaced last week, when the East Bay Express, a weekly newspaper in the San Francisco Bay area, published a story about graphic photographs that appeared on one section of the Web site. The photographs, which show the bodies of several people killed in shootings, explosions, or fires, include crude captions, some of which mock the dead.
Strong statements condemning the taking and posting of such photographs came from Pentagon and Army officials, but they said there`s little evidence to authenticate them and few ways to pursue a criminal investigation, says the story.
While some of the photos appear to show U.S. soldiers in uniform near mutilated bodies, it is unclear where or when the pictures were taken.
The site’s creator said about 30,000 members of the military were registered, several thousand of whom had sent him photographs or comments from their official military web addresses, adds the Washington Post.
Something you think we should know? tips[at]p2pnet.net
Washington Post – Army Investigating Web Postings of Grisly War Photos, September 29, 2005